Tuesday, July 26

Tuesday's Teaching Tidbit

Two posts in one day! I thought of this in the car this afternoon while running errands... I could wait until September (when school actually starts) but I thought I'd take these next few weeks to share some of my favorite moments from my first year.

**Near the end of year, I was a little bit lax in my iPod policy. I found that in certain classes, the students worked better when they only focused on their music and the book in front of them.

One day after the lecture part of class, the students set to work on the assignment and got out their iPods. One student put his large green headphones on and took to work with a couple girls near my desk. He turned to me and asked, "Mrs. Leitman, do you want to be a millionaire?" Without missing a beat, I replied, "So freakin' bad," which ellicited the exact response I wanted... surprise and amazement... Thanks Travie McCoy! One student reacted by saying, "Oh my god, that made my week!"

My students so often forget that I am not that much older than them... I actually know who Katy Perry is and I've seen (and LOVE) The Hangover. I can hear their conversations when I'm not right next to them... and I see their cellphones even when I don't take it from them!

1 comment:

gv said...

When I coached JV soccer for a high school when I was in college, they were all shocked when an announcer said my first name. Surprise! I have a first and last name too...it's not just Coach.